Pages

Monday, July 11, 2016

"I'm Under Construction"

Hola mis amigos!

This last week, we had a wonderful time teaching one of our investigators, and as we talked with her about the enabling power of the atonement (or everything that we can do because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ) she said something that inspired me:

"I'm under construction, and I need all the help I can get."

I couldn't get it out of my mind and decided I would write a poem that night. I wanted to share it with you all, because I think every single one of us feels that our lives are "under construction" at times. 



Under Construction
Please excuse the dust,
Don't mind the messy floors.
You said you wanted to come inside,
I opened up the door.

I know it's not what you'd expect,
From somebody like me.
But this is really all I've got,
This is how I be.

You asked for a place to stay,
I'm sure you weren't expecting this.
There isn't even much a bed,
No place for you to rest.

But please understand,
I'm making a heavy transition.
I'm not what I used to be,
I'm under construction.

I've got a lot I need to change,
A lot of things I need to give up.
Things that were keeping me,
From cleaning out my inner cup.

I'd kept the outside nice,
It looked normal, nothing strange about.
But one day I chipped the top,
And it all came spilling out.

Now I've got my rags,
My brooms and mops and all.
Trying to clean out this dirty cup,
And heed my Saviors call.

So please excuse the dust,
Don't mind the messy floors,
I couldn't clean them fast enough,
After you knocked on my door.

Lord please understand,
I can't do this alone.
I'm a mess of broken memories,
Of the temptations to which I'm prone.

I've got such heavy burdens,
Of the future and the past.
The anxiety and stress,
Keep me tied to this mast.

But I'm doing what I can,
With what little I've been given.
To follow in the Saviors way,
And return again to heaven.

I try my best to clean,
A little bit each day.
But no matter how hard I try,
There's more each time I look away.

I need something stronger than soap,
To muck out this nasty cup.
Something stronger than hot water,
To break up everything that's built up.

I've heard of something stronger,
That can put things right again.
Something that will not fail,
If upon it builds a man.

So I'm making quite a bit of dust,
Searching these messy floors.
For my bible and my rock,
To help me open up the door.

I can hear my savior calling,
Begging me to let him in.
Buts it's hard to open up,
I'm under construction.

Help me, teach me, Lead me, guide me,
They're words I know so well.
And it's true that in this dusty home,
I can't see wall to wall.

I need my Saviors grace,
To help rebuild my soul.
And so I'll give him the blueprint,
And let him take control.

Everything I had is yours,
Do with it what you will.
Take my heart and change it Lord.
I'm giving you my will.

-- Hermana Breanna Michele Jensen

(Updated June 25, 2020)

I hope you all have a wonderful week and that this helps someone back home! 

Trust in the Lord, and He will guide you home!

Scriptures:
1 Nephi 13 (Book of Mormon) - If you were ever wondering why it was written, really, read this chapter!
Mormon 7 (Book of Mormon)
Luke 7-26 - I have never noticed how wonderfully written this account is! It exemplifies Christ's compassion and faith so well! By far has the best parables (Luke 15) and I can't say how much I enjoyed reading it this week!

Con mucho amor,

Hermanita Jensen <3

PS
I gave my talk yesterday - here are pictures for all of you who understand Spanish! For those that don't, I will send something next week that is the translation. I'm still working on it though, because I wrote it in Spanish first...








Referencias:
John 21:15-17
Doctrine and Covenants 123:12
Hebrews 11:1
The Responsibilities of Shepherds - James E Faust
Find the Lambs, Feed the Sheep - Gordon B HInckley
Alma 5:26
Luke 15:4-7
Luke 15:11-24
Mosiah 27:14
Ezekial 34:6







No comments:

Post a Comment