Pages

Monday, July 18, 2016

House Upon a Rock


Hola mis amigos! 

So I had all these plans to write something really profound and then read the emails from my sweet sweet family and realized that it was them who had something profound for me! That being said, it did directly connect with the experience I have had this week, and I want to touch on something the Savior taught us, that maybe we haven't all thought enough about.

On Monday night, we were in a Recent Converts home and it started raining, Florida Rain. It wasn't too bad at first, but the lightning started and the thunder clapped, and I looked at my companion and wondered what we were going to do. The windows were shaking and the trees were shaking and I thought for sure we were going to be called to evacuate! When we received a call from the District Leader only moments later, I answered expecting to be told to leave right away - no worries though! They were calling about a referral! During this whole time, this Recent Convert and the loving member that was with us was completely calm. Or, in other words, "The rains came in and the floods came out and the house on the rock stood still."

They had their faith firmly planted in Christ, and because of the the storm didn't phase them. We continued to talk about the Spirit and how we can feel and receive inspiration form God through Him and they didn't bat an eye at the storm. 

Later, on Wednesday, we were reduced to full bike when our car broke down. My companion (upon seeing our car dead) said "Looks like we're using the bikes today!!" And I laughed and said "I guess we are!" We got things together, called the Mission Office and set out on bike! It was a blast! For about 20 minutes, and then it was hard. By day two, I was ready to be back in the car. My companion surprised me though: She thanked me for being so optimistic about it all and for taking it all with ease (not that I really did much besides keep pedaling and teaching people who actually stopped to talk to us). And it made me think again about the above analogy of the rains and the house on the rock. Satan had sent his own storm of stress to try and overcome me. He has done it before, and He has one in the past, but I didn't let Him win that day. I wasn't in an all out panic about missed appointments, or the fact that I smelled bad, or that I was sweating or anything! I was calm and just a little miffed that the car hadn't been fixed yet. I was firm upon my rock. 

Then yesterday, we were talking with a family in the ward about how other families were struggling and their desires to help. They told us about how they had been through similar situations and how they wanted to help because they knew what it was like, and it dawned on me: Their house was firmly set upon the rock of our Redeemer and because of that, they wanted to help others gain their own firm foundation. 

Change can be so hard, especially for someone who has never known Christ, who has never been faced with the storms of the devil, whose house has fallen victim to the floods of this world so many times in their life that hope is an empty phrase. But it isn't impossible. With Christ, we can become anew. With Him as our foundation, we can withstand whatever Satan throws our way, not matter how challenging it may seem. It is no wonder that Christ told us to firmly plant ourselves in Him in order to overcome the world through Him. We can't do this alone, we never have been able to. But through Christ, we can do anything. 

This is the message I've felt inspired to share today, because it has been shared with me. I think it's important to recognize that even houses that have been built upon a rock, will go under construction, and that there are houses being built up every day. It begs the question: "Are we building our house upon the Rock? Or on the Sand?"

Even here in Florida, where everything is sand, people find a way to build upon the Rock. 

I love you all and I hope that you have a wonderful week. Thank you for your prayers, your love, and your support. God knows I need it if I'm to help people in the construction of their lives!

Love 

Hermanita Jensen



No comments:

Post a Comment