Pages

Monday, May 23, 2016

Week #14 Gladys Knight.. nuff said!

Hola mis amigos y mis queridos!! Como estan?!

So, this week was AWESOME. Do I use that word too much? Probably, but I don't get to use it too often in Spanish, so I have to use it sometime, right?! 

Gladys Knight put together a choir and decided to bring them to Florida and it was one of the most Spiritually Uplifting experiences I've ever had. For those of you who don't know, Gladys Knight is an amazing singer with a truly angelic voice. I'm not talking about one of the background "ooh's" in a Nativity reenactment, but one that "trumphs forth" with all the spirit she's got! She was baptized awhile back into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and has been going around the country with her choir testifying of her Savior through music in ever state she visits. They are called the Saints Unified Voices, and if they ever come to Oregon, do everything you can to get your seat in one of the seats at the show! They are made up of people from ALL walks of life, and present music from different cultures and perspectives. One of the opening songs was led by an elderly man strumming his bass guitar and singing about his love for God, while one of the last was led by two young teens who sang of their need for Jesus and their desire to follow Him. So many cultures were represented as well, and it was quite the experience to feel the Spirit in so many different ways throughout the night. There were points where I was literally laughing with tears running down my cheeks. 

In the morning, before the event, we tracted for almost 4 hours just inviting people to come! It was a free event and we wanted to get as many people there as humanly possible. It was interesting to see the reactions of different people and I often wondered if we had been airing it as a commercial on tv, they would have been more receptive. As it turns out, we don't know if anyone that we invited came, but we have been told that out of the four different performances, 600 people have requested that the Missionaries bring by a "gift basket" that contains a sampler CD of the SUV choir, a DVD about the Restoration, and a Book of Mormon. Currently, we are working on contacting them and helping them feel of that same spirit they felt Saturday night. 

The one thing that stuck out to me, more than anything else was something Gladys said at one point before a song. She said "some people are still out there living like God's a liar." For some reason, that clicked and resounded in my mind louder than any song I had heard that night. I have often wondered while reading through the scriptures, at the response to prophets who merely say "Lord, I believe, for I know that thou canst not lie" and how blessed they are for it. That to me seems like such a silly thing to doubt, but I have realized that many of us still live that way. Many of us still think that miracles aren't possible, that God is dead, that He doesn't speak to us today, that there is nothing more to this life than dying and nailing the coffin shut. But that isn't what God has told us. He has told us that He is the SAME, "today, tomorrow and forever," that "miracles are wrought by faith," and that "He lives." This life is merely a preparation for Eternity. 

I can't express the love that I have for my Savior Jesus Christ enough, for His sacrifice, for His life, and for the life that is possible through Him. I love my Father in Heaven, I know I am His daughter, and I know that HE CAN'T LIE. I know that He has a magnificient plan for all of his children, and that NONE of His sheep are ever truly lost. I have felt His love, His power, and His might throughout my life, and seen the miracles that are possible for those who truly believe. 

It is my plea that we as Children of Him will believe and trust on His word, in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, Amen. 

Con el amor de su Hermana,

Hermanita Jensen


No comments:

Post a Comment